Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023
Mugglehead Magazine
Alternative investment news based in Vancouver, B.C.

Edibles

More children are accidentally getting high after legalization: study

The study found a sharp increase in incidents where children accidentally ate pot edibles between 2017-2021

More children are accidentally getting high after legalization: study
Photo by Elsa Olofsson via Unsplash

A recently released study has outlined the drastic need for more precautions to stop children from accidentally ingesting cannabis. Parents and others securely storing weed-infused candy or other edibles that might appeal to kids may save them a trip to the local hospital.

On Tuesday, the American Academy of Pediatrics released a study in its peer-reviewed flagship journal detailing an alarming rise in incidents of children accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles, a 1,375 per cent increase between 2017-2021 to be exact.

Researchers collecting data for the study in the journal Pediatrics evaluated trends in accidental cannabis ingestion in children under the age of six throughout the U.S. Approximately 23 per cent of reported cases led to a child being hospitalized.

Read more: Victoria police issue misleading statement on cannabis edibles

Read more: Toronto police updates cannabis edibles statement

Statistics from the study were obtained from the National Poison Data System, there were a total of 7,043 incidents in the five-year time span and the vast majority of exposures occurred in a residential setting (about 98 per cent).

The dramatic rise in the number of children accidentally finding their way into mom and dad’s stash can be largely attributed to a rapidly increasing number of Americans with access to legal recreational cannabis. According to U.S. census data, the population with freely accessible adult-use bud increased by 95 per cent from about 69 million in 2017 to 134 million in 2021.

Photo via American Academy of Pediatrics

Other countries including Canada have also been seeing a rise in incidents of children accidentally chowing down on some potent cannabis brownies or something of the like. A 2019 study conducted by the Canadian Paediatric Society found there was a total of 16 serious adverse events involving accidental cannabis ingestion in a period of only four months in 2018.

“The number of cases involving young children is striking,” said Dr. Christina Grant, a paediatrician in Hamilton, Ontario and co-principal investigator of the study.

“These early results highlight the urgency of prioritizing the needs of children and youth in policy and education initiatives, especially as edibles become legalized later this year,” added Grant in 2019.

 

Follow Mugglehead on Twitter

Like Mugglehead on Facebook

Follow Rowan Dunne on Twitter

rowan@mugglehead.com

 

 

 

 

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pete

    January 15, 2023 at 6:59 am

    You would hope the commercial marijuana edibles companies would police themselves better, if it looks like candy, a kid is going to eat it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Legalization

Individuals previously convicted of cannabis possession under 2 oz will receive automatic expungement as well

Gold

The Vancouver company is now second only to Nevada Gold Mines and Kinross Gold in 'lode claim tenure'

Cannabis

The law has also granted expungement for thousands of non-violent cannabis-related crimes

Sleep

The company says its study showed a 98% satisfaction rate for the daytime-nighttime appliance