Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tuesday, Jun 6, 2023
Mugglehead Magazine
Alternative investment news based in Vancouver, B.C.


Allkem and Livent merge to create world’s third largest lithium producer

The US$10.6 billion deal is expected to close by the end of 2023

Allkem and Livent merge to create world's third largest lithium producer
Allkem's Olaroz lithium project, Jujuy province, Argentina. Photo via Allkem

Two major lithium producers from Australia and the United States are merging to create one of the world’s largest companies producing the metal.

On Wednesday, Allkem (TSX: AKE) (ASX: AKE) and Livent (NYSE: LTHM) announced that they would be combining to create a leading international lithium chemicals producer in an all-stock merger valued at approximately US$10.6 billion. The company will be headquartered in North America with a specific location to be announced later.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of the year with Allkem shareholders owning a 56 per cent stake and Livent shareholders possessing the remaining 44 per cent of the new company. It will only be smaller than Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile (NYSE: SQM) and Albemarle Corporation (NYSE: ALB).

Read more: Pan American Energy hires geological services company for lithium exploration campaign

Read more: American Lithium receives permit for additional drilling at new project in Peru

Livent’s CEO will lead the new firm

The two companies possess lithium brine facilities in Argentina and are both in the process of developing lithium mines in Canada within a reasonable proximity to each other. Livent’s CEO Paul Graves says the merger should help propel faster growth and better efficiency at those operations.

“As a combined company, we will have the enhanced scale, product range, geographic coverage, and execution capabilities to meet our customers’ rapidly growing demand for lithium chemicals,” said Graves. He is set to become the CEO of the new company once everything is finalized.

The new lithium producer is expected to have annual operating synergies of approximately US$125 million per year before taxes. Through a combination of Livent’s technical capabilities and strong customer relationships and Allkem’s robust and diverse resource base, the companies believe the merger will put them in an ample position to capitalize on the growing demand for lithium.

“We are bringing together two highly complementary businesses to create a leading global lithium chemicals company, building on Allkem’s demonstrated track record of integration,” said Allkem’s CEO Martín Pérez de Solay.

“The combination brings together teams with strong expertise in project development, product innovation, and marketing, and sets us up for a faster and de-risked delivery of the next phase of our growth,” he added.

Read more: MAX Power enters U.S. lithium sector with new exploration permits in Arizona

Read more: Chile announces plans to nationalize its lithium industry

Allkem has a series of projects throughout Argentina, Australia, Japan and Canada. Livent has lithium manufacturing facilities throughout China, Argentina, England and the United States.

Last week, Allkem identified a new high-grade lithium zone at its James Bay project in northern Quebec.

A recent report from the French market researcher ReportLinker indicated that the global market for lithium would be worth approximately US$13.8 billion by 2027, ascending from its current value of about US$7 billion.

Allkem’s shares rose significantly Wednesday by 10.15 per cent to $12.80 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Livent stock shot up by 5.22 per cent to US$25.50 on the New York Stock Exchange.


Follow Mugglehead on Twitter

Follow Rowan Dunne on Twitter








Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like


Minister Tom Alweendo said during a workshop the country would highly benefit from owning a minority equity interest in mining


The gold producer is also acquiring a portfolio of assets in the province from Eagle Plains Resources


During the fall of 2022, the drill program at Courvan focused on expanding the existing resource


Technology cleans oilfield brine prior to lithium extraction